In New Zealand, international students are supported by the teachers, school management, the international staff, the academic deans, their host family, their agent and the New Zealand government. Everyone plays a part in making sure students are safe and happy.

International Department Support

We understand how exciting and scary it is to move to a new country. Rangitoto College is dedicated to helping students adapt to a new culture and provides a high level of support to our international students. Our team has six full-time staff and two part-time staff in the international office. We interview international students regularly to make sure they are happy in their homestay and adjusting well to life in New Zealand. Students can also come to the international office at any time between 8-4:30pm for assistance or advice. We have a specialist team who help students with visas, accommodation, insurance or booking travel around New Zealand.

Emergency Phone

Usually students can call the office number (+64 9 477 0150) or come into the international office at school if they would like help. In an emergency situation, students can call our emergency phone (0800 563 263), which is always with a staff member from the international office.

Contact details for all the international staff can be found here.

International Academic Dean

International students are supported academically by our international dean.  The deans will check students’ timetables during their first two weeks of class and work with them if any changes need to be made. Over the time students are at the college, they can come to the deans’ office to discuss any issues they are having academically. The dean will be able to offer solutions or talk with teachers on their behalf.

Teachers and Support Staff

Teachers encourage and motivate students to do their best academically. If students are struggling with work, teachers might be able to recommend methods for catching up. If students are achieving very good results, teachers may recommend they join an extension class and start studying work from the year ahead.

Our school librarians can offer advice on how to find resources and information and offer suggestions on books to read. Students are encouraged to be self-directed learners and we aim to develop the skills that will help students excel at university and become life-long learners.

Career Planning

Academic deans and career counsellors can offer advice on further study (university / technical qualifications in New Zealand or abroad). We have a careers room with university prospectuses for students to look through and are happy to talk about the options for further study.

Rangitoto College graduates have had great success being accepted into some of the world’s best universities, some on scholarship.

Academic Pathways 

Health Support

Rangitoto students can visit the registered nurse in our health centre during the day if they are feeling unwell. We also have school physiotherapists available to treat students at school so they don’t need to go offsite to access this service. We have counselling services available at the school for students who are feeling unhappy or just want someone to talk with.

ESOL Support

Excellent English is one of the most important factors for success at secondary school. All students are tested on their first day to asses their English level. Depending on the results, students may be placed in an English class (literature, poetry, plays, cinema) or in an ESOL class.

ESOL Department

New Zealand Governmental Support

According to the 2012 Global Peace Index, New Zealand is the 2nd safest place in the world to live (after Iceland). Even though it is safe here, the New Zealand Ministry of Education has created a Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students, something which most countries do not have. Parents of our international students feel safe knowing schools must follow strict rules with regards to international students.

Ministry of Education Code of Practice

The Disputes Resolution Scheme

An appeal authority operates through NZQA and any complaints and/or disputes will be dealt with under the new Code of Practice and/or the International Student Contract Dispute Resolution Scheme. Students are advised of this at orientation and a “where to complain to” chart is displayed in prominent places in the College. More information about this service can be found at

Apply your child for International study today