The Mathematics department at Rangitoto College has the objective of ensuring that all our students leave school with at least the required qualifications needed for entrance to University. We employ highly qualified teaching staff that includes specialists in both Statistics and Calculus. We have designed several courses aimed at maximising the potential of all our students and adopt industry leading best practice processes.
Courses on Offer
Year 13: Calculus (MCA), Scholarship Calculus (MCX), Statistics (MAS), Scholarship Statistics (MSX), Mathematics (MAT). All Year 13 courses are approved for University Entry.
Year 12: Calculus (MCA), Statistics (MAS), Calculus Extension (MTX), Applied Mathematics (MAA).
Year 11: Mathematics Extension (MTX), Mathematics (MTE), Mathematics Foundation (MTF), Mathematics for Numeracy (MTN).
Year 10: All of our Year 10 classes are banded so that pupils work in a challenging environment with students of a similar ability. Acceleration classes are also offered at this level.
Year 9: The majority of our Year 9 classes are banded so that pupils work in a challenging environment with students of a similar ability.
Calculus is important to me as it is challenging and has infinite concepts to explore. It teaches a way of thinking that is essential in the work field.
Extra Curricular Activities
The Rangitoto Mathematics Department has numerous extra-curricular activities that are associated with the department.
- Mathematics week.
- Mathematics Competitions.
We encourage as many students as possible to enter the competitions that are available throughout the year. Maths competitions encourage and stimulate problem-solving skills crucial to high levels of achievement in Mathematics. The competitions that are available are as follows:
- National Bank Junior Mathematics Competition (open to Year 9, 10 and Year 11 students).
- Mathex Team competition for Year 9 and Year 10. It is a team based activity where the best teams from schools around New Zealand will compete against each other in order to win prizes for the school.
- Otago Uni/ETON Press Senior Maths Competition – Open to Year 12 and Year 13 students.
- UNSW Australia Mathematics Competition – mid-year – open to Year 9, Year 10 and Year 11 students.
- ICAS Mathematics Competition - mid year - open to Year 9, Year 10 and Year 11 students.
Maths Week is a nationwide activity undertaken by schools to promote mathematics in schools. At Rangitoto College, we celebrate maths with a number of activities that both students and staff are involved in.