Rangitoto College is a dual pathway school offering both NZQA and the globally recognised International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma programme.
Our programmes extend and challenge our students to develop skills & expertise to become inquiring, knowledgeable, confident, and caring young people.
Rangitoto College maintains a high level of excellence pass rates by focusing on academic challenge and support.
The creative talent of the staff is constantly extended through an extensive professional development and leadership programme using the best of local and international expertise.
Rangitoto College has an extensive Gifted and Talented Education (GATE) programme. The most able students are catered for through extension and enrichment programmes and accelerated study. All subjects offer a range of options to meet the needs of individual students.
A dedicated Learning Support Department caters for those students who need extra assistance to reach their potential. Each child has an individualised programme of support to ensure that their needs are met.
Rangitoto College is committed to the implementation of NCEA and believes that the qualification provides rigorous and valid information about student achievement. The philosophies that underpin NCEA include a focus on high achievement which, supported with world-class teaching practice, ensure that students achieve to their highest academic potential.
Students who complete the IB diploma graduate with the tools required to excel at all universities worldwide. In particular they have established research skills, a sense of preparedness, high levels of self-confidence and an ability to manage their time effectively. IB students study six subjects over two years and also complete the CORE: Theory of knowledge (a critical thinking course), a university style Extended Essay, and CAS (Creativity, Activity and Service). Students can also gain a Bilingual Diploma which is very highly regarded throughout the academic world.
We are proud of our 2022 remarkable IB results which are reflective of our students’ hard work and determination. Some highlights include:
- For the 3rd consecutive year, we achieved a 100% pass rate which is a phenomenal achievement
- Average point score is 37 which is 11% higher than the world average
- 17 students scored 40 points or higher. This is the 3rd highest score in New Zealand
- 36% of our student cohort are in the top 10% of students in the world
- Perfect Score, IB 45, 1 student, Richard Li putting him in the top 1% of students in the world.
- IB 44, 3 students, Jinju Schwarz, Alex Kang & Sawooly Li, top 3% of students in the world
- IB 43, 4 students, David Zhu, Olerato Sibandze, Kent Oishi & Alex Zhang, top 3% of students in the world
- IB 42, 4 students, Liza Rassakazova, Bhanavi Micarelli, Marilyn Chen & Julia Lim
- IB 41, 2 students, Sam Ranger & Caitlin Hodge
- IB 40, 3 students, Lucas Hebberd, Zalan Varga and Tommy Huang
Prestigious Bilingual Diploma
7 students were awarded the Prestigious Bilingual Diploma
- Bhanavi Micarelli – Italian
- Stan Flagel & Fred Pecqueux – French
- Rose Sun, Kevin Pan, Eva Ruan & Tommy Huang – Chinese
- 16% A Grades in IB Core (Extended Essays and Theory of Knowledge)
Rangitoto College’s IB top scholars have gained entry into, and excelled in, world-renowned universities such as Cambridge, California, Duke, Harvard, Imperial College and King’s College both located in London, Melbourne, Michigan State, New York University, Oxford, Princeton, Sydney and Toronto.
Rangitoto College is proud to recognise the following students who have been accepted into various international universities for 2023! Special congratulations to Sawooly Li and Caitlin Hodge who both received scholarships and are attending Princeton University. Kamana’o Morton also received a scholarship and is attending the University of California, Berkeley. Well done to all students who are heading overseas to complete their studies, we wish you all the best for the future in your chosen fields.