Concerns and Complaints Policy

Communications and Complaints Rationale:  

The Board of Trustees recognises the importance of a clear communication and complaints process. Successful education is more likely to be achieved for students when the College and community work together.

Policy:        The Board of Trustees requires the College to have a procedure that is readily accessible to students, parents, caregivers and the community. All complaints will be investigated in a clear, appropriate and professional manner.

Responsibility:           The Board of Trustees and Principal
Review term:             Policy: 3 years     Procedure 1 year
Date reviewed:          May 2019
Next review due:       May 2021


The school will endeavour to respond to each matter, at the appropriate step, within one full school day of the complaint being received. At this point, the school will acknowledge the complaint and undertake an investigation. Complaints will then be appropriately investigated, a decision made as to any action necessary, and the result of the investigation and subsequent action communicated to the parties involved.

Initial contact could be with the person who the concern is with, provided the concern is of the nature that this contact is comfortable. Either advise the person the nature of the concern in writing or arrange a time to meet.

Further contact should be made by contacting the College office, either to make an appointment or to speak with the appropriate staff member. The office can inform the parent who is the right person to speak to.

If the parent or caregiver wishes to speak about the student’s well-being, attendance or progress, contact should be made with that student’s Dean.

If the parent or caregiver wishes to speak about curriculum, assessment or a teaching related issue, they should contact the Head of Department.

If the parent, caregiver or school community member wishes to speak about support staff services, they should contact the Director Human Resources.

If the parent considers the matter to be very serious or urgent they may contact the Deputy Principal directly.

If the Dean or HOD regards the matter as serious they may refer the matter on to the Deputy Principal responsible for pastoral care or for the curriculum area.

If the parent is unhappy about the outcome after discussion with the Dean or HOD, contact should be made with the Deputy Principal responsible for pastoral care or for the curriculum area.

If contact with the Deputy Principal or Director of Human Resources has not resolved the matter to the satisfaction of the parties concerned, then the matter may be raised with the Principal. Contact with the Principal should be written and be through the Principal’s Executive Assistant.

If a parent or community member is unable to find an acceptable resolution at the level of the Principal they may raise the issue by writing to the Chairperson of the Board. The matter will be discussed at the next Board meeting following receipt of the letter.

 In all cases, the Board, in dealing with complaints, will act as a good employer. Complaints about staff will be investigated by the Principal or delegated representative and resolved in accordance with the relevant conditions of the current employment contract(s). Where appropriate, outside mediation may be sought from organisations such as NZSTA, PPTA, NZEI or arranging for an independent arbitrator if necessary.

The Principal, or the Board, shall have the authority to suspend staff (with or without pay) during the course of an investigation, or where the health and safety of that staff member, a student, or other staff member, warrants the suspension.

A paper copy of the procedure is available on request from the school office