Your Rangitoto College Gmail account is not private. You should only use this email for school purposes. Make sure that any email you send is professional, relevant to your learning, and appropriate to the school environment.
Your Email Must Be Respectful
- Keep your email professional. Maintain an appropriate distance with the recipient - do not become too familiar.
- Use a greeting with an appropriate title when addressing your teacher. Examples: Dear Mr Jones, e.g. Hello Mrs Brown.
- Use an appropriate closing that includes your name. Examples: Thank you, Darren Smith. Yours sincerely, Darren Smith. Regards, Darren Smith.
Your Email Must Be Professional
- Use a Subject Line that reflects the content of the email.
- Be concise and to the point.
- Use proper spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- Use appropriate spacing and emphasis.
- Bold and italics can be used for emphasis but use colour sparingly.
- Leave out texting language, abbreviations and emoticons etc.
- At the most capitals should be used to emphasize a single word or for a heading, not the entire message.
Read Your Email Before You Send It
Mind your manners. Make sure you read your email out loud to yourself before you send it. Is there anything there that could be misinterpreted as rude, insensitive, inappropriate, condescending, or demanding?
Other Good Practices
- Include the message thread by clicking “reply” rather than “new mail”.
- Use the BCC field if sending a message to more than one recipient.